So I may be biased, but this is my all-time favorite chili recipe from my mom’s kitchen. It’s her secret recipe that I want to share with you all today. This is the perfect meal for a cozy day when you’re all cuddled up inside or a lazy football Sunday. This recipes makes about 8 servings so invite friends over or plan for leftovers! My mom’s chili recipe reminds me of when the season turns to fall, the leaves change colors, there’s a crispness in the air, and the smell of firesides.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey (whatever your preference – they both taste great)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 46oz cans tomato juice
- 1 16oz light red kidney beans, drained
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 packages original chili seasoning mix (I usually get the low sodium version)
- 1 box of elbow macaroni
- chili powder for added spice
- oyster crackers
Here’s how to make it:
- Brown 1 lb. ground beef or turkey with 1 medium sized chopped onion. Drain and blot.
- Put together with 2 large cans of tomato juice, 1 can light red kidney beans (drained), 2 tbsp brown sugar, and 2 packages of chili seasoning mix in a large stove pot.
- Bring to a boil and add 6-7 handfuls of elbow macaroni. Stir and reduce heat to simmer for at least an hour (more time will intensify the flavors) while stirring periodically.
- Cover the stove pot with a lid slightly ajar while cooking.
- After cooking on simmering, if chili seems soupy, let it breathe for a while without lid.
- Serve with chili powder (if desired) and oyster crackers.