Do you have tons of old candle jars laying around? Ever wonder what to do with all of them? They make for some great DIY lanterns! Keep reading to find out how to recycle your used up candle jars into personalized works of art. You’re going to need:
- Place used up candle jars in the freezer overnight. The next day, the wax will come out easily with a knife.
- Wash the jars out and peel off any stickers (warm water also helps). If you have any sticker residue that refuses to come off, you can use a little bit of vinegar on a paper towel together to remove.
- While the jars are drying, use some contact paper to create shapes you would like on your jars. No surprise, I’m using the letters “IU” for my Hoosier room! You can use stars, lines, dots, or any shape your heart desires!
- Peel your shapes off the backing of the contact paper and place on your candle jars. Be sure to press down firmly to remove any air bubbles.
- Then, apply a thin, even layer of Mod Podge to your jars on the inside (painting over your stencils) with a paint brush.
- Take your glitter and swirl around the inside of the jar, making sure every open space is covered. Be sure to do this over some newspaper or magazines so you don’t make a complete mess and the leftover glitter can be reused.
- Let the candle dry for 30 minutes and then come back in with your tweezers and GENTLY remove the shapes.
- Let the candle completely dry overnight and in the morning you’ll have a beautiful decoration!
- Place candles inside for that ultimate lantern effect. I used flameless, flickering LED candles for mine 🙂