I love the chance to use my slow cooker (aka crockpot) for any occasion. It usually makes for very simple and energy efficient cooking! I was looking for a profile packed with both flavor and veggies and stumbled upon this Mexican Butternut Squash Quinoa recipe from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. I’ve been on a quinoa kick lately, and who doesn’t love Mexican food? I wanted to share my creation for your next dinner inspiration!
Mexican Butternut Squash Quinoa Recipe Details:
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 4.5 hours Serves: 8
- 1 cup Quinoa (Rinsed)
- 3-4 cups Butternut Squash (I prefer the pre-cut kind, pictured below)
- 1 cup Corn (Canned, Fresh, or Frozen will work)
- 1 can Organic Black Beans (Rinsed WELL)
- 2 cans (19oz each) Red Enchilada Sauce (Mild or Medium recommended)
- 1 cup Vegetable or Chicken broth (Low Sodium Recommended)
- 1 packet Original Taco Seasoning
- 2 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes w/ Chilies and Spices
- 1 Jalapeño (Diced, De-seeded, and De-vined)
- 6-8 Green Onions
- 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2-3 Limes
- Spray insides of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or wipe down with olive oil.
- Place cubed butternut squash, corn, black beans, quinoa, garlic, diced tomatoes, jalapeño, enchilada sauce, broth, and taco seasoning into slow cooker.
- Stir well. Cook for 4 hours on high or until quinoa is fully cooked and butternut squash is soft.
- Remove lid and cook for another 20-30 minutes on low after stirring.
- Season with dollop of greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, lime juice to taste, and salt/pepper if desired.